• Paul Acuña found guilty in theft, forgery case
• The redemption of Lee Mata • Moving Afghan women forward, not backwards • Find out if it's 'whooping cough'
• Milliken gets GOCO Benjamins
• Winter Sports Preview • Milliken Mail, legal notices, letter to the editor, Obituaries, senior event calendar, sports... And more...scroll down and read about what's happening in our towns.
By Zant Reyez/The Johnstown Breeze
To the communities of Johnstown and Milliken: this is your son, Lee Mata.
In September, when clouds hovered over both towns and rain cascaded down hour upon hour, lives were changed with every drop. When the sun finally broke through, the damage was unimaginable.
By Martin B. Hamilton/The Johnstown Breeze
JOHNSTOWN – Early on during Tuesday night’s basketball game, it appeared Roosevelt and Silver Creek wanted to play football.
Only that season ended Nov. 30, when the Raptors (whom the Rough Riders defeated in October) lost to Coronado (which defeated RHS in the state playoffs).
But after all, this was Roosevelt’s season-opening hoops tilt, and despite the two teams combining for 54 personal fouls – including 32 in the first half – the Riders won again, 75-63.
It was the first time the Riders had opened their season at home since Dec. 1, 2009, when Broomfield claimed a 79-45 decision.
• 'Hope for Animals" donation drive underway
• Riders' FB awards list lengthened • Doughty suffers another concussion • RHS basketball seasons set to tip off against SC
• Roosevelt wrestlers open at home against Berthoud
• Transition to middle school can be difficult • Former mayor to replace former mayor • Pail Acuna again in Weld County courtroom • Flood recovery workshops set in Greeley, Loveland • Breeze from the past, club news, legal notices, Obituaries, senior event calendar, sports... And more...scroll down and read about what's happening in our towns.
Johnstown Breeze Front Page News
Sports Scoreboard for 12-12-13
In this week’s Online Scoreboard: Roosevelt High School’s winter sports season got underway last week, and season previews are available both here on the Internet and in this week’s edition of The Johnstown Breeze. But for a look at any RHS winter sports schedule, just scroll on down right here and now! There’s Rough Riders wrestling and basketball for both boys and girls. Also here are box scores from recent competitions, along with Tri-Valley League standings. … Then take a look at professional and collegiate sports, including a complete schedule of upcoming bowl games (Colorado State kicks off the slate in the New Mexico Bowl!), along with a look at the NCAA Division II playoff schedule that includes Colorado State University-Pueblo, which had a bye in the first round of postseason play. All that football is followed by this season’s remaining ice hockey schedules for the 2013-14 Colorado Eagles and Colorado Avalanche, and basketball schedules for the Denver Nuggets, University of Northern Colorado, Colorado State University, and the University of Colorado, plus the UNC’s wrestling slate, and even a look ahead to next year’s “Boys of Summer” in the professional baseball town of Denver. … Each week, we put together an Online Scoreboard containing information mostly about RHS athletics. If you have a suggestion about what runs here, email us at email@example.com.
America’s greatest Christmas classic
The Johnstown Breeze
We all wish for it, whether we live in Alaska or Atlanta.
A white Christmas.
And the song by that name has come to symbolize both home, and the holidays.
America’s classic Christmas song was written by a Jewish immigrant.
Find out if it’s ‘whooping cough’
The Johnstown Breeze
GREELEY – Noted for being stubborn and persistent, pertussis, or whooping cough as it’s casually known, is quite contagious and in some cases can be fatal.
Jo Peden, epidemiologist for the Weld County Department of Public Health and Environment, said last week nearly 100 diagnosed cases have been reported.